I made the right choice to take today off despite really nice weather. I expected Nevada to be broiling hot but it’s a pleasant 76 degrees albeit with strong winds.
Here’s how I’m resting:
- Sleep nine hours
- Walk to Mickey D’s (closest place) for breakfast
- Stop at grocery store for provisions for tomorrow
- Check out of the Motel 6 and roll down the hill to downtown Ely.
- Roll through downtown at walking pace
- Talk with flag person about the road closure situation on my route for tomorrow. (No worries. I can bike through.)
- Stop at coffee shop for a cuppa and an excellent, buttery blueberry scone
- Kill an hour talking to the young woman behind the counter
- Learn that the big employers around here are mines (copper) and a maximum security state prison
- Go to sporting good stores to use their floor pump. Browse for ten minutes. The place sells beaucoup guns. Depressing.
- Roll back to a park with trees and shade and hang out.
- Grab lunch (tomato bisque and a massive grilled cheese sandwich)
- Go to Hotel Nevada where I learn that my room comes with tickets for two free beers and breakfast.